Later News Aug 27

Cristiano Ronaldo makes Man City transfer U-turn, completes sensational Man United return instead


Manchester United fans who spent the last 24 hours cursing the name of Cristiano Ronaldo, following reports that he was considering joining neighbours Manchester City, are now looking like quite the twats.

 

This comes as United have confirmed that Ronaldo will, indeed, re-join the club.

 

WATCH: Ronaldo's iconic Serie A goals

 

“Manchester United is delighted to confirm that the club has reached agreement with Juventus for the transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo, subject to agreement of personal terms, visa and medical,” the club said in a statement today.

 

“Cristiano, a five-time Ballon d’Or winner, has so far won over 30 major trophies during his career, including five UEFA Champions League titles, four FIFA Club World Cups, seven league titles in England, Spain and Italy, and the European Championship for his native Portugal.

 

“Everyone at the club looks forward to welcoming Cristiano back to Manchester.”

 

It is believed that the Red Devils offered €25m (S$40m) plus add-ons to Juventus for Ronaldo, who has signed a two-year contract with the Old Trafford outfit.

 

WATCH: The story behind Ronaldo's discovery in Madeira

 

Reports have suggested that Ronaldo’s former United teammates had contacted the 36-year-old and convinced him to abandon the idea of joining City in order to cement his status as a legend at United.

 

This development comes as a blow to City, who had only recently failed in their pursuit of Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane. Guess money really can’t buy everything, although it can sure buy you a lot.

 

It will also come as a shock to the United fans who have gone to extreme lengths to show their displeasure at Ronaldo’s flirtations with City, such as this guy…

 

But while the rest of the United fanbase is celebrating the return of Ronaldo, one manager does not believe that signing the former Real Madrid star is a good idea.

 

That manager is none other than Liverpool’s Jurgen Klopp. Because of course, it had to be Klopp.

 

WATCH: Ronaldo's best goals for Juventus

 

The German manager said: “It's not about me to judge that, but if other clubs can do it, it's not a business for the future, [the next] three to four years, it's about now and immediately.

 

“That's how some clubs are working and that's fine, but there must be different ways, clubs who look two or three years later and have success. It's not always with the best squad in the world, it's about developing as a squad and a club and that's what we have done.

 

“We have resources and have been building for a while. I have no time to look at other clubs. I see the news, but I have no time to think about what they can do.

 

“We brought in [Ibrahima] Konate. He wasn't a bargain, he cost money too. But all the offensive, attacking players other clubs are signing -- obviously they thought they needed it and they have the resources to do it, but we won't use it as an excuse.”

 

THANKS FOR SUBSCRIBING !

GETIN YOUR EMAIL

By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and European users agree to the data transfer policy.